Thoughts, ideas, bitching and bragging about World of Warcraft, raid and guild leading, and whatever else comes to mind...filled with the things Lark wants to say to her guild but probably shouldn't.
At least not to all of them. Not yet anyways....

Friday, March 19, 2010

Communication and Lark 101

(I'm thinking about putting this on our guild forums...I'd love some input first as to whether or not it's a good idea!)

With new content come new challenges. I understand it is a time when things that you might have brushed off before suddenly seem bigger and more aggravating. Wiping over and over on the same bosses can be frustrating and the repair bills can make you wonder when you're going to have time to farm enough. It can seem like a long road when you're on it and I can understand why you might feel a bit blue at times. It is, however, progression....this is what is it always like. But wait! At the end of all this you get that great feeling when everything clicks and we finally down the big, bad boss! It's never as hard as it is the first time...nor is it ever as good which is why I don't want to be in a guild that carries me through content.

That being said please know that I care about each of you and want to make sure you are hanging in there and feeling okay. I'm available if you want to talk and want to help you to feel heard. So, this little post is to help you understand how the mind of Lark works so that you don't walk away feeling like you've wasted your time.

1. Have the facts. Come prepared with specific example of situations you might like to have seen handled differently. Vague allusions to "well, that one time" or "well, I'm not going to name names but..." do not go very far. If your complaint or concern is not important enough for you to gather your research or (God forbid!) put yourself out on a limb then it's probably going to get filed in the Lacking Seriousness File. If you're not comfortable naming names then encourage the actual person with the issue to come to me directly. Contrary to popular belief (and to the disappointment of some!) I seldom bite.


2. If you would like to see a rule or process changed then bring logic and a potential solution. Simply telling me you don't like it is nothing but aggravating. If you want to see the way we do, say, 10 man ICCs changed then bring me a plan. When you bring these ideas though, be prepared for me to play Devil's Advocate and ask some hard questions. Remember, while I care about what you want and what you have to say I have 40+ other people to take into account.


3. Let the dead horse rest in peace and for god's sake quit beating it! If you have attempted to go through the steps in #2 and you do not get the change you want, believe me there are reasons why it didn't change. If I have explained to you repeatedly why something like the loot system is not going to suddenly go to DKP then let it go. Try to understand the reasoning behind decisions - and I'm happy to go into detail with you - but at the end of the day it is what it is in certain circumstances. Now, if you have a suggestion on how to make the current system better...well, then refer to #2 on this list.


4. If the issue is with me and something I may say or do there is only one simple thing to do: Be honest. Don't launch a personal attack or come into a conversation defensive but be honest. If I ask you for clarification about why you feel the way you do then tell me. Decide what it is that you want to make sure I understand and stick to the topic...talking in circles and changing subjects doesn't help. I'm very logical and will be more open to feedback if you are addressing one thing at a time.


5. Lastly, be prepared for me to need time to think. Don't take long silences as a sign I've checked out and am now IMing on Facebook. I'm not. I'm listening and I'm thinking about what you are saying. Give me a chance to process whatever it is and respond. If what you are bringing me is something that will have an impact on the guild if we change it then be prepared for me to take some time to bring it to the officers and, possibly, other people or to do some more homework of my own.


Wow, that was longer that I thought it would be! Hope it helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment